Top 5 Skills Chief Digital Officers Need to
Become CEOs and Board Directors, with Larry Kramer
LEARN – SHARE – NETWORK The CDO Summit is the premier event for digital & data leaders Wednesday, 28 September, 2016 London, England
Why are Chief Digital Officers being increasingly being tapped to become CEOs or board directors?
Just ask Larry Kramer, who serves on the boards of TheStreet.com; Gannett Co. Inc.; Harvard Business School Publishing; and MDC Partners; and is a trustee of Syracuse University. He was previously board director at American Media Inc, Answers.com, and Discovery Communications.
He is also comfortable in the executive role, currently serving as interim CEO at TheStreet.com. And in his previous role as President and Publisher of USA Today, Kramer re-imagined the iconic newspaper as a digital first news organization.
Larry was also Chairman, CEO and founder of CBS Marketwatch, President of Digital Media at CBS, and Executive Editor of the San Francisco Examiner.
Which is why we had to sit Kramer down for a fireside chat at the 2016 NYC CDO Summit, presented by Centric Digital and hosted by Thomson Reuters on April 27, 2016.
He was interviewed by digital media veteran Robertson Barrett, currently President at Hearst Newspapers Digital.
Watch the entire chat below as Kramer reveals the top 5 skills Chief Digital Officers need to become CEO and board directors:
Here are four reasons you should upgrade to a SILVER, GOLD or PLATINUM CDO Club membership:
1. CDO JOBS Update: The CDO JOBS Update includes 3 sections: New CDO Hires; CDOs In The News; and Open CDO Jobs. Our goal is to keep you up-to-date on the dynamic CDO market – and maybe help find your next dream job! For this you’ll need to have at minimum a SILVER membership.
2. CDO Career Page: We just updated our Career Page, which includes open CDO (and other related) positions worldwide, as well as space for our partners to post open positions of their own. You will need to have at minimum a GOLD or PLATINUM membership to access this page.
3. CDO Talent Map: First published in 2013, the CDO Talent Map was the first report to explore the CDO Universe, and was the culmination of more than two years of exhaustive research. The 2016 CDO Talent Map will include updated statistics, the CDOs impact on IT, marketing, sales, and organization-wide digital transformation, compensation, budgets, headcount, and reporting structures. CDO Club GOLD and PLATINUM members get this $1,000 report for free.
4. CDO Club Video Portal: This currently includes over 50 hours of video from every single CDO Summit to date. We are about to add 30 more hours of video from our recent Sydney CDO Summit in March and the NYC CDO Summit in April, for a total of 80 hours of original programming, worth $12,000 if you had paid to attend each event.
View videos from the following digital leaders and much more:
“Congratulations and thanks to David Mathison for spotting the need for community and collaboration in the growing Chief Digital Officer space, and for having the wherewithal, network, and organizational talent to put together such a top-notch event in its inaugural year. Next year’s summit should be even more of a must-do for anyone working digital at senior levels in all kinds of businesses.”
– Teddy Goff: Chief Digital Strategist for the Hillary Rodham Clinton 2016 US Presidential Campaign. Former Digital Director for President Barack Obama, 2008 and 2012
“David, here’s a handy C^3 test for conference value: Did I learn at least three new perspectives? Check. Did I meet at least three interesting people? Check. Did I take back at least three relevant pieces of news I can use? Check. Flying colors for the Chief Digital Officer Summit 2013! Thank you so much, and yes, I’d be very pleased to participate next year!”
– Perry Hewitt: Former Chief Digital Officer at Harvard University
About the CDO Summit:
The CDO Summit addresses the challenges and opportunities arising from big data, the cloud, digital disruption, and social and mobile media. Our gatherings include the best digital strategists and practitioners on earth, in intimate, collegial, and supportive environments designed to encourage networking, learning, and knowledge-sharing. Visit the website.
About the CDO Club:
The CDO Club is the world’s first, largest, and most powerful network of C-suite digital leaders. Our 1,500+ members receive access to breaking news, original research, career development support, networking opportunities, and inspirational events such as the CDO Summit. Visit the website.